Moving Facts and Relocation Information Page


Drivers and Vehicles
Utilities Information
Employment Research and job opportunites
More information coming soon on
Job hunting, Banks, Mortgages, Communities, weather and much more
Currently under construction -
Driver's Licensing in B.C., Auto Insurance, Auto Loans, Importing a Vehicle and Car manufacturers
Obtaining a BC Driver's License
If you are new to BC and drive a vehicle, you need to obtain a BC driver's licence within 90 days after relocation. It is best to apply for your BC driver's licence well within 90 days of moving to BC.
Note there are different processes depending on which country you come from and what license you have held!
For complete details, please visit the Insurance Corporation of BC website:
Auto Insurance
The Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC) is a provincial Crown corporation that provides basic and optional insurance to BC motorists.
Vehicle insurance premiums can be reduced up to 40%, however, if you can provide proof that you have not had an at-fault claim for eight years prior to seeking ICBC coverage. If you are new to the province, you can qualify for these claim-rated scale discounts.
You will need a letter from your previous insurance company(ies) on company letterhead verifying your claims history for up to 8 years before your move here. The letter(s) must include:
* The name of the policy holder
* The names of any listed drivers on the policy
* The policy number
* The period of time during which you had coverage, and the dates of any at-fault claims

Give the letter(s) to your Autoplan broker when you apply for your insurance. If you are returning to BC after having lived here at some other time since 1983, your claims history here will also be considered, along with your more recent history.
For locations and more information, please visit:
From the U.S.
There are several steps that you need to follow to ensure that vehicles manufactured for the U.S. market meet the Canandian vehicle standards.
Here is a website that explains the process of bringing your car from the U.S.
From a Country other than the U.S.
Transportation Canada has a website filled with lots of useful information including Importing a vehicle.
Top of page
Car Loans
Most Canadian banks will not authorize a loan for a vehicle until an applicant is a landed immigrant. Automobile companies, however, do not have such a requirement and often offer incentives or lower interest rates than banks. When shopping for a vehicle, inquire with the dealership as to their current loan options.

Top of page

Some helpful employment resources for research and job vacancies websites for IT, Health and General employment.
Is there information that you would like to see added here?
Feel free to send me comments or make suggestions.
Utility Companies
Electricity: BC Hydro
 BC Hydro is the sole provider of electricity. Opening a new requires a credit check, and if you do not have a Canadian credit history, BC Hydro may require a deposit to open an account.
It is therefore worthwhile to secure a Canadian credit card before you arrive or as soon as possible after your arrival to begin establishing a Canadian credit history.
Telephone,TV and Internet Service
There a quite a few companies that provide residential telephone, long distance plans, high-speed internet, cellular phone services and TV. Here are just a few of the leading companies
Here are a few more important or interesting links
Annette Thomas
Cell:(604) 773-2451
Office:(604) 684-6155
Fax:(604) 684-4155
RE/MAX Crest Realty (Westside)
#2 - 1012 Beach Avenue
Vancouver, British Columbia
V6E 1T7 Canada
The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the MLS® Reciprocity program of either the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver (REBGV), the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board (FVREB) or the Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board (CADREB). Real estate listings held by participating real estate firms are marked with the MLS® logo and detailed information about the listing includes the name of the listing agent. This representation is based in whole or part on data generated by either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB which assumes no responsibility for its accuracy. The materials contained on this page may not be reproduced without the express written consent of either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB.